You can find myriads of 4k cameras for filmmaking in the market today. Due to the number of options available, choosing the right one can be a daunting task. Now, if you’re one of these people who are looking for the best and cheapest 4k camera, then this article is for you. We’ll provide you the top 10 cheapest 4k cameras for filmmaking hopefully gives you enough choices to jumpstart your own portfolio.
Globally-known brands along with hidden gems make up this list of filmmaking devices. With varying working functions such as Ultra HD captures, Slow motion options, underwater filming and photography, infrared night vision capacity, wireless remote controls, and Android or iOS application pairing and connectivity among other different functions. Different uses and capabilities set these cameras apart, but the varied price points surely take a big factor as to what you might get. It will be up to you to take your pick.
10 Cheapest 4k Cameras For Filmmaking in 2020
1. Dragon Touch Vision 3 Action Camera for Filmmaking
First off, starting at a double-digit US dollar price point, the Dragon Touch Vision 3 Action Camera steals the show as one, if not the cheapest 4k video cameras on the market. Boasting an incredible 1080p resolution for around an hour and a half of video recording, wireless remote control wristband, waterproof capability (with case), and up to 4x zooming capacity, this action camera is one versatile piece of equipment! The wireless remote control wristband is not waterproof but it can function as far away as an impressive 33 feet.
- 4K Action Camera with 4X Zoom: Professional 4K/30FPS, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/60FPS video and 16MP photo...
- Wireless Wrist Remote Control: Put the remote control on your wrist while installing the sports...
- Wifi Action Camera with 2” Screen: Save and share your sports action camera moments on the...
Key Features Dragon Touch Vision 3 Action Camera
- 4k HD
- 30 m waterproof (with case)
- 4x zoom capacity
- Various settings – time-lapse, loop mode, driving mode, etc.
- WiFi function and app connectivity (download “XDV” app)
- Micro SD card not included when purchasing
- Macbook incompatible
Outstanding Display and Resolution
Its 2-inch display size lets you see clearly enough what your camera captures. With a 16 MP optical sensor, the Dragon Touch Vision 3 Action Camera’s image captures are nothing to scoff at!
The Dragon Touch Vision 3 Action Camera is also compatible with most accessories on the market. Chest mounts, motorcycle, and bicycle helmets, scooter mounts, handlebar brackets, etc.
Not only is the camera loaded with incredible features such as loop mode, time-lapse, and wifi connectivity, but it’s also sold at very affordable prices. This is definitely the best 4k camera for people who are looking for an affordable but high-quality gadget.
2. Akaso V50X 4k Camera For Filmmaking
An upgrade to Akaso’s V50 series, the Akaso V50 X sports a more ergonomic and compact design. Upgrading it to touch screen with IPS display design, all it takes is a simple swipe and tap to use this action camera. An improved software program aids in the prediction of movement and stabilization of captured images, resulting in a smoother transition – this makes it one of the best and cheapest 4k cameras out there.
- UPGRADE SERIES OF AKASO V50: Featuring 4K/30fps, 2.7K 30fps and 2K 60fps video resolution, AKASO...
- INTUITIVE TOUCH SCREEN: With a touch screen and simple, streamlined capture modes, it's easy to jump...
- ELECTRONIC IMAGE STABILIZATION: AKASO V50X action camera records smooth, steady video whether...
Key Features Akaso V50 X Action Camera
- 1-year warranty
- Touch screen
- 40 m waterproof (with housing)
- Electronic image stabilization for more stabilized captures
- Long battery life up to 3 hours of continuous video recording
- Adjustable view angle
- 12 MP camera
Remarkable Angle View
An interesting function that the Akaso V50 X Action Camera has is its adjustable view angle, ranging from 170 degrees up to 70-degree views to maximize your shots. Additionally supported by a Distortion Calibration software to correct image distortions in captured shots.
Power and Accessory Pack
This camera comes with 2 powerful battery packs that can last up to 3 hours of running video use! Talk about longevity! The Akaso V50 X Action Camera is also compatible with a lot of general accessories like mounts, tripods, bicycle stem extensions, motorcycle or bicycle helmets, and the like.
Akaso V50 is one of the most durable and affordable 4k Cameras for filmmaking. No matter where you are going or what you’re doing, the camera will be able to cope up with your activities. Thanks to its high-quality materials and hardware.
3. Sauleoo HHCQRXB 4k Camera For Filmmaking
A 48MP camera is what might catch your eye first for this beauty, but that is not the only thing it can offer. Complimenting it is its 3-inch IPS touch screen and a camera hood support that will definitely make your shots exponentially better.
- 【4K Camcorder】Video camera adopts the newest upgraded chip,which presents you incredible...
- 【Wifi Camcorder with IR Night Vision】Downloading "XDV PRO" APP, it will turn your phone into a...
- 【Camcorder with Microphone】The recorder with mic adopts updated noise-canceling technology which...
Key Features Sauleoo 4K Video Camera
- 1080p webcam mode resolution
- App compatible (download “XDV Pro”)
- IR night vision shooting capability
- Product support and troubleshooting response
- SD card not included
- Battery for remote control is not included
Versatile Video Features
This cheapest 4k cinema camera can also double as your PC or TV’s webcam, perfect for Livestream setups – unleash the inner streamer in you! With a noise-canceling feature, this camcorder filters out unnecessary background noise to produce vividly recorded audio in videos.
Connecting the Sauleoo Camcorder to the XDV Pro application on your smartphone allows your phone to control the camera to download, browse, or view captured images. The Sauleoo Camcorder is also capable of taking a picture while recording, giving you the chance to be more versatile for your post-shoot edits and enhancement.
IR Night Vision
For those who are fond of night shooting, then this camera is definitely a must-own. Capture beautiful images during your night adventures – great for campers, hikers, and filmmakers who love night adventures.
4. GoPro HERO7 Camera For 4k Filmmaking
A tried and tested brand, GoPro’s Hero 7 is a good entry-level action camera and one of the cheapest 4k cameras you can find. Touting its hyper smooth video stabilization, GoPro Hero 7 delivers videos with gimbal-like stability – without the gimbal. With a capacity to slow down videos with its x8 Slo-Mo Video function, your most epic scenes can be as crisp as it should be in 1080p quality.
- E-COMMERCE PACKAGING: GoPro HERO7 Black Camera - This product is in manufacturer E-Commerce packing...
- 4K60 VIDEO AND 12MP PHOTOS: Awesome as the moments themselves. 8x Sol-Mo Video - With ultra high...
- HYPERSMOOTH VIDEO STABILIZATION: Get gimbal-like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black...
Key Features GoPro HERO7 Camera
- Full, standard warranty
- 10 m waterproof (without housing)
- Voice control
- 10 MP photo shots
Loaded Accessory Compatibility
Like it’s predecessors, the GoPro HERO7 has a multitude of accessory compatibility like chest mounts, bicycle stem extensions, helmet mounts, and selfie sticks among a lot more. Built for adventure, the GoPro Hero 7’s rugged design will surely get you going through the toughest of conditions, while still providing quality captures every time.
Optimizing shots is a basic function, supported by the GoPro HERO 7’s Super Photo software – intelligently applying HDR to bring out your shot’s maximum potential!
Tough Underwater Body
Underwater filmmaking is made a lot easier with this handy action camera. Without a need for housing, the GoPro HERO7 can be used until a 10-meter depth! No need to pay extra cash for the underwater casing – have fun and save money!
5. Zohulu 4k Camera For Filmmaking
One of the cheapest 4k 60fps cameras that one can buy. The Zohulu Camcorder is an ideal camcorder for beginners or budding videographers. Highly recommended for filmmakers who are just starting out and are looking for an affordable camera.
- Upgraded 4K Camcorder in May: We upgraded the firmware of our video camera in May, which makes it...
- Multipurpose Video Camera: 4K Ultra HD Video Camera with 4K 3840x2160 (24FPS) video resolution /...
- Vlogging Camera with WiFi / IR Night Vision: Zohulu app "D Video" turns your smartphone into a...
Key Features Zohulu Camcorder Camera
- App compatible (download “D Video”)
- WiFi connectivity
- iOS and Android operating system compatible
- Includes 32GB SD card and card reader
- Black and white IR night vision captures
- Perfectly paired with a gimbal, but not included in the purchase
Dependable WiFi System
This HD video camera has a built in WiFi system for easier remote viewing and smartphone downloads (either iOS or Android). As a bonus, it can also record directly online as long as its WiFi has a direct connection.
IR Night Vision
Video captures at night can also be done with its IR night vision capability. Although the video quality when using the video camera’s IR night vision setting is still at 4k, the images are in black and white. Nevertheless, its 3.1 inch IPS touch screen display size delivers crisp images for your viewing and easier camera function controls.
Best Mic Add-on
Purchases include an external microphone attachment that can be recharged for endless use.
6. Panasonic DC-FZ80K 4k Camera For Filmmaking
If you are looking for sniper-like shots, then this one is the cheapest 4k camera for you. Its low light capture performance also lets you take dimly lit subjects while still providing impressive results. Capable of capturing 30 frames per second, singling out a specific moment from an ultra-high resolution 4k video is a piece of cake.
- Point and Shoot Long Zoom Camera: 18.1 megapixel MOS sensor plus 60X zooms DC Vario lens (20 1220...
- High Resolution View Finder & LCD Display: High resolution 1,170K dot view finder and rear touch...
- 4K video Capture: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160) with three unique 4K ultra HD video...
Key Features of Panasonic DC-FZ80K LUMIX Camera
- 18.1 MP digital camera
- Ergonomic design for better handling and grip retention
- WiFi connection capable
- A bit bulky and heavy
- No external memory
Capable of x60 magnification with its LUMIX DC Vario lens, aided by Power OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer), recording from a distance has never been easier.
Post Focus and Focus Stacking
To add to its already impressive capabilities, the Panasonic LUMIX also provides additional creative freedom, courtesy of its Post Focus, and Focus Stacking functions. This allows you to change focus points or the depth of field after you take a photo. Minimize the need for overly complicated and intricate editing software!
Upon holding the camera, you will immediately notice its weight and this simply implies that each hardware is made out of high-quality materials. If you’re looking for a camera that lasts longer, then this is definitely the best buy for you.
7. Canon PowerShot SX740 Filmmaking 4k Camera
Do not let the compact housing fool you. The Canon PowerShot SX740 HS is a beast of its own with its extensive functions. With a 3-inch tilt LCD, this little gadget adds a whole ‘nother level to its versatility when taking pictures – hello, selfies! – and an additional smooth skin effect that aids in showcasing more enhanced features!
- 40x optical zoom with optical image stabilizer and zoom framing assist
- 4K video and 4K time-lapse movie
- 20.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor
Key Features of Canon PowerShot SX740 Camera
- 20.3 MP camera
- iOS and Android OS compatible connections
- Compact and fits easily in your pocket
- Extensive shooting mode options
- 3-inch tilt LCD
- Rare issue of the camera shutter sticking after a few months
Its 4k video recording provides the user stunning visual results not limited to vibrant colors and stunning details, accompanied by an Optical Image Stabilizer for steadier and sharper results.
The WiFi capability of this camera lets you print, share, or transfer images through the Canon Camera Connect application. The Canon PowerShot SX740 HS’s slim design gives an ergonomic feel and grip that makes you not want to let this video camera go.
Clear Resolution and Great Magnification
With zoom magnification reaching up to x40, this digital camera gives you the option to capture images or videos from a distance.
8. Panasonic HC-VX981K 4k Ultra Camera for Filmmaking
A considerable jump from the previous filmmaking camera’s price point, the Panasonic 4k ULTRA HD Video Camera Camcorder can surely deliver. This video camera boasts a LEICA Dicomar lens that is capable of zooming up to x20 magnification and has a 5-axis Hybrid Optical Image Stabilization.
- Get in Close and Detail: 18.91 Megapixel MOS sensor plus 20x Zoom LEICA Decomar Lens (4.08-81.6...
- 1/2.3-Inch BSI Sensor: The Back Side Illumination Sensor has a large effective area with 8.29M...
- 4K Recording and In-Camera Editing: Ultra-sharp 4K Ultra HD recording, plus in-camera editing for...
Key Features of Panasonic 4k Ultra Video Camera
- Mount for boom mic or lighting
- Low light capture flexibility
- Lightweight and compact
- With warranty
- Longer lasting batteries needed for extended or extensive use
Remote Shooting and Viewing
With Panasonic’s 4k Ultra HD Video Camera Camcorder’s WiFi function, you can use your own smartphone for remote shooting and viewing!
On-the-Go Editing Capabilities
This powerful video camera also has in-camera editing capabilities such as cropping, zooming, and subject tracking stabilization among others – this minimizes, or sometimes even removes entirely, the need for overly complicated software for post-edit arrangements and editing.
Just download Panasonic’s smartphone app, and voila, you are good to go! Others will be definitely hard-pressed to beat that function! Oh, and did we say it can be multiple smartphones?
9. Nikon D7500 4k Camera for Filmmaking
Nikon D7500 camera has a long history in the filmmaking industry. This pretty much sums up the capabilities of this DSLR camera: Resilient, innovative, tried, and tested.
- Class leading image quality, ISO range, image processing and metering equivalent to the award...
- Large 3.2” 922k dot, tilting Lcd screen with touch functionality. Temperature: 0 °c to 40 °c...
- 51 point AF system with 15 cross type sensors and group area AF paired with up to 8 fps continuous...
Key Features of Nikon D7500 Camera
- Auto ISO and power aperture control
- 4k Ultra HD time-lapse function
- App compatible (Nikon SnapBridge app)
- With warranty
- Solid and quality captures when mounted on a tripod
- Efficient battery usage and power
- Quite heavy
- Rare low light capture issues
- Not ideal for big or heavy lenses due to lack of battery grip
Aided by a 3.2 inch LCD, which can also be tilted, taking shots from either low or high angles is made a lot easier for you. Best filmmakers who are looking for cameras that can provide them great shooting and viewing convenience.
It is also “ruggedly” designed with the Monocoque design and extensive weather sealing to help it withstand the harsh elements it can be used in. With trickle-down technology from its predecessors like the D500, The Nikon D7500 opens the path for entry-level enthusiasts with the legitimate DSLR experience.
Added to its multitude of upgrades is the improved facial recognition and focus that’s supported by its built-in 51 focus points.
10. Sony FDRAX53 4k Camera for Filmmaking
Definitely NOT the cheapest 4k camcorder on this list, but what it lacks in the affordable price point category, it does make up substantially in its operational features. Let’s get cracking with this wonderful camera’s badass capabilities. The stabilizing lenses let you capture while still focusing on a subject even while moving or shaking, pretty much like having built gimbal inside your camcorder, without the actual equipment!
- 4K XAVC-S recording with 16.6MP, Exmor R sensor, B.O.SS stabilization
- ZEISS lens(26.8mm) 20x optical zoom in 4K, 30x Clear Image Zoom in 4K
- 3.0" LCD (Touch panel), EVF, Wi-Fi/NFC, manual ring, night shot, 4K Time-lapse capture.Diopter...
Key Features of Sony FDRAX53 Camera
- Sony’s BOSS Stabilization technology
- Built in Zoom microphone
- A bit bulkier and heavier than its counterparts
- A bit lessened zoom range
- Rare issue of settings reverting to default when swapping batteries
Zeiss Lens for the Win
Accompanied by a 26.8 mm Zeiss lens that can magnify up to twenty times (x20) optical zoom in 4k, and thirty times (x30), still at 4k, in Clear Image Zoom. A 3 in LCD makes the operation of this camera a lot faster and easier.
Balanced Optical Steady Shot
Starting off with Sony’s BOSS (Balanced Optical Steadyshot) Stabilization system, a technology that is arguably touted as the next generation of image stabilization. With this technology, capturing scenes or videos using the Sony FDRAX53/B 4k when the handheld is like magic.
The camera is equipped with a high-quality Zoom microphone which means that you can expect quality audio from your shots. No need to spend a lot of time mixing and mastering the audio just to achieve high quality output.
How To Choose Cheapest 4k Cameras for Filmmaking (Buying Guide)
Most beginners, with minimal or no experience at all, would generally be overwhelmed by the plethora of different filmmaking cameras they will stumble upon on the market.
Features such as a night vision capability, wireless remote control, or WiFi or application connectivity to name a few, can easily sway the uninformed into buying a 4k camera that provides these features, yet when bought the user will not really be able to fully maximize the equipment’s capabilities. Let these tips be of help to you in choosing a good filmmaking camera for the purposes you intend to use it for.
Check Video Quality
First and foremost, a primary factor is the video quality of a filmmaking camera’s captured scene, of course. Gone are the old days when videos or pictures were ruined by poor quality – a simple search for a high definition camera yields thousands upon thousands of results.
The question is: which one to choose and buy? A camera capable of capturing images or scenes in an ultra-high-definition is pretty much the basic equipment nowadays, regardless of experience, whether you are a professional videographer or filmmaker, or a hobbyist just starting to discover the wonders of filmmaking.
Find the Best Price and Brand
The price point. Let us face it. Nobody wants to buy something not worth their hard-earned cash, right? There is no shame in that! it is pretty standard to even have a budget first before really purchasing anything; just settling for whatever deal one can get based on one’s budget for the equipment.
Branding. We did say it is not a tell-all basis, but it certainly does have its benefits. Going for a reputable brand, particularly if those brands have been in the motion capture or filmmaking industry for a while, chances are their products stood their ground in an always progressing technological world. It would be quite rare to find fault in a known brand’s products.
The Best Functionality
What are you going to use it for? To reiterate, a lot of filmmaking cameras have abundant functions ranging from underwater shot capabilities, WiFi connectivity, night vision mode, etc. But what are you going to use the camera for? Knowing this helps you trim down your choices and subsequently lets you get you exactly what you need. Having a multitude of functions will not really give much difference from one camera’s physical look to another, or even the size for that matter, but it can certainly hurt the pocket quite deep.
These points to ponder are not set in stone, so your own personal preference still outweighs it. This is only for additional guidance and knowledge to help you in choosing the best equipment you can use. If it is still lacking then do not fret, because fortunately for you, we have compiled a list of the cheapest 4k video camera for filmmaking for you to browse and possibly take a pick from.
Remember your goal, and that is to capture moments. Some things happen once in a lifetime. What better way to remember it than having a 4k camera in hand to capture that specific moment. With amazing features of today’s cameras, it gives people the opportunity to make treasured moments last longer.
Also, don’t forget that aside from additional skills and knowledge. Having any camera, more so a 4k one takes skill and sufficient knowledge to operate. Having one helps you hone your skills in filmmaking, taking better pictures, or just boosting your knowledge in filmmaking or recording in general.
Choosing an appropriate 4k camera is not an easy task. Daunting at times, and certainly exhausting given all the options you have, but with this list of the top 10 cheapest 4k cameras for filmmaking concluded, we hope you enjoyed reading and manage to find the best filmmaking camera to suit your needs.
Last update on 2020-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 10 Cheapest 4k Cameras For Filmmaking in 2020
- 1. Dragon Touch Vision 3 Action Camera for Filmmaking
- 2. Akaso V50X 4k Camera For Filmmaking
- 3. Sauleoo HHCQRXB 4k Camera For Filmmaking
- 4. GoPro HERO7 Camera For 4k Filmmaking
- 5. Zohulu 4k Camera For Filmmaking
- 6. Panasonic DC-FZ80K 4k Camera For Filmmaking
- 7. Canon PowerShot SX740 Filmmaking 4k Camera
- 8. Panasonic HC-VX981K 4k Ultra Camera for Filmmaking
- 9. Nikon D7500 4k Camera for Filmmaking
- 10. Sony FDRAX53 4k Camera for Filmmaking
- How To Choose Cheapest 4k Cameras for Filmmaking (Buying Guide)
- Final Verdict