After many years of being loyal to a certain carrier (the name of the carrier is not the main issue here), I and my friend got fed up because of the ridiculous data pricing. Both of us wanted to get a better solution rather than just switching because you can’t say that the same won’t happen again.
So, we began researching and came to know about unlocked phones. These phones opened a new door of possibilities for us. Now, we can buy the latest phones, choose whatever prepaid data plan suits us the most, and travel without worrying about the network coverage anymore. As a beginner, we didn’t want either expensive phones or basic ones. So, we researched the best unlocked phones under 300. In this article, we’ll tell you all about those phones and which ones are compatible with which mobile operators. But we’ll get to know why you should buy unlocked phones at first and then continue to the phones’ review.
Why buy unlocked phones
The locked phones are locked by a certain carrier so that you can’t switch without keeping the bills due. With locked phones, there are some disadvantages.
- You can’t choose a plan that suits your situation as you’re bound to take the plans from your carrier-locked phone.
- You can’t upgrade your phone without spending more money.
- Sometimes, the carrier’s online store can’t make the latest model smartphones available right after its global release.
- Getting rid of your old phone and buying a new one seems a lot of effort and a time-consuming task.
- Switching to a suitable carrier according to your location is also a time-consuming task and involves some paperwork.
- You can’t get the best retail price of the latest smartphone from the specific carrier’s online store.
- Without unlocked phones, you’ll see a lot of restrictions from your carrier for international travel.
To beat all those advantages above, you need to buy any of the best unlocked phones under 300 that we’ve listed for you. Just know which network carrier gives the best wireless plans and network service in your area and buy accordingly. What we mean is that you should know if it’s a GSM carrier or a CDMA carrier as your preferred operator and buy the compatible phone from our list.
10 Best Unlocked Phones Under 300
Here are the 10 best unlocked phones to be considered for your needs.
1. Moto G7
With preinstalled Amazon apps, your shopping and ordering items online will be more effortless. It also has Alexa push-to-talk feature so that you can awake Alexa just by saying “Alexa” or double-pressing the power button and ask for anything. Those features are called “Hands-free” and “Push-to-Talk” respectively. Once you’ve connected with one of the wireless networks and enabled data connection, you’ll need to update those apps.
- Pre-installed selection of Amazon apps, including Amazon Shopping, Amazon Music, Audible and Amazon...
- Amazon exclusive version with Amazon Alexa built-in: Simply say “Alexa” or double press the...
- 6.2" Full HD+ Max Vision display (2270 x 1080) with 19:9 aspect ratio, 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of...
After that, your concern lands on the battery backup feature of the phone. The Moto G7 has a 3000mAh battery that can support you for the whole day. Also, it has a fast-charging capability and can support you for 9 hours with only 15 minutes of charging. The charging port of this phone has USB Type-C which is a plus point for this budget range.
Regarding the security, it runs on Android 9.0 which has all of the latest security patches. Moreover, it has a fingerprint sensor and face-unlock feature for the physical layer of security. The face-unlock system is fast because of its 1.8GHz octa-core processor and 8MP front camera.
- it has a large screen with 6.2″ FHD+ display with 19:9 aspect ratio
- The memory of this phone is huge with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM and you can expand the internal memory for up to 512GB.
- The processor is fast and powerful as it is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 632 processor along with Adreno 506 GPU.
- The dual-camera on the back has 2 sensors of 12MP and 5MP with LED flash.
- You can perform Wi-Fi calling if you have a T-Mobile connection with this phone.
According to some phone spec sharing website, this phone is compatible with GSM networks. But this version claims to be working on Verizon and Sprint as well as AT&T and T-Mobile. We didn’t believe at first but then saw countless customer reviews telling that they are using this phone on Verizon and Sprint network with 4G speeds without facing any problem. So, we think the claim is true and you rely on the Moto G7 for any carrier.
2. Generic Goophone 11max
Want an iPhone that runs on android? If you’re thinking that we’re joking, we’re not. This is a phone that looks identical to new the iPhone 11 Pro Max. If you have a budget less than $300 and want all of the lacking of an iPhone gone, you must check this phone out.
With 8GB RAM and a huge 512GB internal memory, we get confused if it’s a phone or a laptop. Even, some laptop doesn’t have such configuration. Also, it has a very big display of 6.5” with a minimum bezel around it. The phone doesn’t feel cheap when you hold it in your hands. With emulated iOS skin, you’ll love this phone in every aspect.
This is an Android phone and you’ll get all the features of a smartphone. Considering all the features, this phone has a very low price tag and you might think that it’s not a durable phone. But the build quality is good enough and you can use it for many months without worrying about the performance.
- It runs on an unspecified version of the octa-core processor.
- Supports GSM network with the frequencies of GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, and GSM850.
- Capable of sharing data with mobile hotspot and it’s compatible with 4G network technology.
- For a busy day, it can support you for more than a day with its 3500mAh battery.
- This unlocked phone runs on Android 9.0 and has all the latest security updates.
The phone supports only GSM network. So, it is compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile and their related carriers. This phone also supports 4G LTE so that you won’t miss the highest internet speed in your area. Also, you can use 2 SIM cards on this phone to enjoy the best offer and the best network coverage at the same time.
3. Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus
The Galaxy S8+ is an amazing phone with its large end-to-end Infinity display. You’ll be stunned to see the picture quality on this phone. Also, it has an iris scanning feature which ensures the maximum security phone can give. Fingerprints can be collected without your knowledge but a hacker can’t unlock this phone as the pattern of your iris can’t be duplicated.
- Fully Unlocked: Fully unlocked and compatible with any carrier of choice (e.g. AT&T, T-Mobile,...
- The device does not come with headphones or a SIM card. It does include a charger and charging cable...
- Inspected and guaranteed to have minimal cosmetic damage, which is not noticeable when the device is...
The discounted price of this phone gives you only the choice of Midnight Black color and keep in mind that this is a renewed phone. However, it looks and works like a new one and you won’t be able to tell the difference. With Samsung’s top of the line gears, you’ll experience something more than a phone. Also, it has an intelligent virtual assistant and it picks up what you want just by showing something or talking or texting to it.
This powerful device will allow you to take breath-taking pictures even in the rain. Overall, the features consume a lot of power and you won’t have to worry about it as it has a 3500mAh battery for up to 24 hours of talk time and up to 15 hours of 4G internet browsing. The fast charging capability of this phone is compatible with wired and wireless charging.
- The S8+ has 6.2″ QHD+ Super AMOLED display for real view with a resolution of 529 PPI.
- The internal memory of this device is 64GB which is expandable to 512 and comes with 4GB RAM which is enough for all latest applications.
- The front camera lens of this phone is 8MP and the rear one is 12MP.
- It runs on a powerful octa-core 10nm processor which is fast and consumes less power.
- The phone has an IP68 rating which makes it waterproof for a maximum of 30 minutes in up to 1.5 meters of fresh water.
This renewed phone is unlocked and can work on AT&T and T-Mobile’s network because it only supports GSM network. So, for Verizon or Sprint network, it’s a no-go. Other cell phone carriers that use the network of AT&T and T-Mobile are also supported on this device.
4. Huawei Honor 8X
This phone has a large nearly borderless display for full view. Also, you can watch HD videos and do multitasking with its slip-screen feature. Furthermore, it has an eye-comfort mode which reduces blue light radiation. The sunlight technology allows you to view the screen clearer under direct sunlight.
- 4G LTE bands 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 28(700), 4G LTE tdd: B41, 3G...
- 6. 5-Inch borderless full view display 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19. 5: 9 ratio (~397 pip density) - glass...
- 64GB + 4GB RAM - micros, up to 400 GB (dedicated slot) - Kirin 710 powerful chipset - non-removable...
The body is made from glass with 15 layers of rich reflective surface. It has Nano-coating and 2 visual effects with vivid color choices. But the only available color in this price range is blue. Moreover, it has great cameras with a quick face-unlock feature. So, you can take high-quality selfies as well as ensure security.
It also has a fingerprint sensor on the back and the phone is NFS supported so that you can pay with ease and security. Finally, it has a Li-Po battery with a capacity of 3750mAh. This battery is powerful enough to support you for the whole day.
- With 84% screen-to-body ratio, this phone has a large 6.5″ display with a resolution of 397 PPI.
- If the 64GB ROM is not enough, you can expand it inserting a 400GB MicroSD card.
- The phone has 4GB memory and runs on Hiliscon Kirin 710 chipset and Mali-G51 MP4 GPU.
- The main camera is 20MP with a 2MP depth sensor and the front camera is 16MP with HDR feature.
- you’ll get OTG USB 2.0 and active noise cancelation feature with dedicated mic
The Huawei Honor 8X is an international phone. It is unlocked so that you can use it in the US. As the phone supports only GSM network, you can’t expect it to be compatible with Verizon or Sprint wireless network. The only option is to use this phone on AT&T or T-Mobile network. The dual SIM support will give you the option to take advantage of 2 different plans on the same mobile.
5. Google Pixel 2 XL
With one of the most powerful Qualcomm processors, the Google Pixel 2 XL is a phone for big-screen lovers and game freaks. Also, this phone has one of the best cameras in the world of smartphones so that you can do pro-level photography for Instagram, WhatsApp, Snapchat, and more.
- Fullscreen 6.0 in (152 mm) display QHD+ (2880 x 1440) pOLED at 538ppi
- 12.2MP 1.4m Autofocus with laser + dual pixel phase detection Optical + electronic image...
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 2.35Ghz + 1.9Ghz, 64Bit Octa-Core
The display has P-OLED technology for more real feel which is ensured by a resolution of 538 PPI. It has Corning Gorilla Glass 5 for the ultimate protection of the display and an IP67 rating for keeping the phone safe from any accident.
The phone comes with a fast-charging capability including a 3520mAh battery and USB Type-C reversible connector. The battery capacity is more than enough to support you for the whole day and more depending on the usage. Even if the phone is renewed, you can rely on it as this is a very durable phone. You won’t be able to differentiate between this one and a new one.
- This phone’s 6″ display got the protection of Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and has 18:9 aspect ratios with a resolution of 538 PPI.
- The available version has a 64GB internal memory and a 4GB RAM.
- The Chipset this phone uses is Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 with Adreno 540 GPU.
- With 12.2MP main camera and 8MP front camera, you can take some amazing photos.
- Google gave this phone a USB 3.1 Type-C port and made it waterproof with an IP67 rating.
Finally, we got another phone that supports both GSM and CDMA technologies. What it means that this is one of the best unlocked phones under $300. You can use any operator’s SIM card and anywhere in the US. It also supports 3G and 4G and you won’t get disconnected ever.
6. Apple iPhone 7
This phone doesn’t need our review. You know we love it for its amazing Retina display, the iOS, very fast performance, and amazing cameras. Also, we get a lot of help with its virtual assistant Siri.
- Fully unlocked and compatible with any carrier of choice (e.g. AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon,...
- The device does not come with headphones or a SIM card. It does include a charger and charging cable...
- Inspected and guaranteed to have minimal cosmetic damage, which is not noticeable when the device is...
The call quality and signal receiving capability of this phone are impressive. You can talk without any interruption with the active noise cancelation feature. It has a dedicated mic to do that.
The phone comes with a 1960mAh battery which is non-removable and supports a maximum of 14 hours talk time or 40 hours of music playing time. For security, it has a front-mounted fingerprint sensor and latest security updates from Apple. This phone has the world’s best security without any doubt.
- This comparatively small display is 4.7″ with 65.6% screen-to-body ratio and 326 pixels per inch density.
- This version of the iPhone has 32GB internal memory and 2GB RAM without any external card slot.
- The phone runs on Apple A10 Fusion Chipset along with PowerVR Series7XT Plus 6-core GPU.
- The main and front camera is 12MP and 7MP respectively with face detection and HDR features.
- The front side of this phone has Ion-strengthened glass and the rest of the body has premium-grade aluminum with an IP67 rating.
This is almost a new phone (renewed actually) supports both GSM and CDMA. As a result, you can count on this phone to connect with any carrier in the US. You can also use this outside of the US if your carrier has the support.
7. Samsung Galaxy A50
The first thing we love about this phone is that it has massive storage which will save you a lot of money spent on cloud storage. If the internal memory is not enough, you can expand it using an additional MicroSD card. With this kind of storage, you can store a lot of photos with high resolution. This is also ensured by its amazing cameras.
- Memory, Storage and SIM: 4GB RAM | 64GB internal memory expandable up to 512GB | Single SIM...
- Android Pie V9.0 operating system with 2.29 Ghz Exynos 9610 Octa Core Processor, 4000mAH lithium-ion...
- 16.21 centimeters (6.4-inch) FHD+ multi-touch capacitive touchscreen with 2340 x 1080 pixels...
The display is big and better and has a built-in fingerprint sensor right beneath the screen. So, you’ll only need to touch your screen and the phone will unlock quickly. The infinity display trumps other phone displays regarding very warm color production. So, you can get clearer view even in the outside under direct sunlight.
The last thing you will like about this phone is its humongous battery that supports a maximum of 35 hours of talk time. Also, the fast charging capability lets you fully charge the phone within a very short time compared to other phones.
- Samsung phones are best known for their Super AMOLED display and this one comes with 6.4″ huge display.
- The internal memory size is 64GB but you can expand it for up to 1TB with an additional MicroSD card which is more than enough.
- Also, it has 4GB RAM and runs on Exynos 9610 Chipset with Mali-G72 MP3 GPU.
- The front camera is 25MP for smooth selfies and the main camera is 25MP+8MP+5MP which can help you shot like professionals.
- It uses Corning Gorilla Glass 3 for display protection and has an OTG Type-C USB connector.
Samsung A50 is a great phone that you can seriously consider. But unfortunately, it runs on only the GSM network. It also supports 4G LTE and is compatible with all operators that use GSM technology. AT&T, T-Mobile, and other related operators will allow you to use this phone with their full features.
8. Huawei P20
Another renewed phone but it is a flagship phone from Huawei and you’ll really love it after you’ve read the reviews and specifications. This phone has a perfect 5.8″ display which is neither too big nor too small. It is an FHD LCD display with a resolution of 428 PPI.
- For USA Buyers : This Smartphone is compatible/will work with any GSM Networks such as AT&T,...
- Network Compatibility : 2G GSM 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900 and/or 3G 800(B6) / 800(B19) / 850(B5) / 900(B8)...
- 5.8" inch, LTPS IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
The phone runs on Android 8.1 but you can upgrade it to the latest version so that you won’t miss anything. Also, it is necessary to have the latest security updates for maximum security. Regarding physical security, you’ll have the fastest fingerprint sensor. The phone is NFC supported. So, you’ll not have to worry about easy, quick and secure payment.
Moreover, it supports a single Nano-SIM and works on the 4G LTE network. Finally, the battery of this phone has a capacity of 3400mAh so that you can pass the day without needing to charge.
- With 429 PPI, the 5.8″ display is IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen and has 18.7:9 aspect ratios.
- It has a 128GB internal memory without including any card slot but you won’t need it for your day-time.
- The Chipset model is Hisilicon Kirin 970 and the GPU is Mali-G72 MP12 so that you can play the heaviest game you can find in the play store.
- With 20MP+12MP main camera and 24MP front camera, you can have a premium quality image.
- The phone is not waterproof but has dust and splash resistant feature so that you can avoid small incidents.
This is another great phone from Huawei. The phone is compatible with all frequency bands in the GSM network. So, you can choose any operator or carrier that uses GSM technology. The phone is compatible with 3G and 4G network along with 2G support. So, you’ll not get disconnected almost anywhere in the US.
9. BLU G9 Pro
Want a new phone with super-impressive features, durable build-quality, huge battery capacity and storage, and a low price tag? If your answer is yes, you’re looking for the BLU G9 Pro. With an attractive design and V-Notch display, you can have a full view. The display has a 91% screen-to-body ratio with a resolution of 1080×2340 pixels.
- Vivid 6.3” Full HD+ Infinity Display, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- A.I Triple Camera 48MP + 2MP Depth Sensor + 8MP Wide Angle 120° Camera with flash, and 16MP Selfie...
- 128GB Internal memory 4GB RAM Micro SD up to 128GB; Mediatek Helio P60 Octa-Core 2.0GHz processor |...
The phone has a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor and a face-unlock feature which ensures maximum security. The camera quality of the phone is worth mentioning. With triple sensor combo, you’ll get more than an image.
This phone ensures 36 hours of talk time with its 4000mAh. You can charge it very quickly with its 18W fast charging capability. Also, it is compatible with 10W wireless charging so that you can charge 50% in less than half an hour using the Type-C port.
- The BLU G9 Pro has a large 6.3″ IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen with 19.5:9 aspect ratios so that you don’t feel it too wide.
- With 4GB RAM and 128GB internal memory, you can install as many apps as you want and take countless photos.
- It has the Mediatek MT6771 Helio P60 Chipset and the Mali-G72 MP3 GPU for faster performance for multitasking.
- Its 16MP+20MP+5MP main camera combo will give you in-depth picture quality and the 24MP front camera is best for perfect selfies.
- If you’re in need of more internal memory, it allows you to add an additional 128GB MicroSD card which will meet your need.
We wanted to declare BLU G9 Pro as the perfect phone on our list but it got a lacking and we had to consider some other phone for the best unlocked phone under $300. This phone is compatible with only GSM network technologies. So, only AT&T, T-Mobile, and other carriers’ SIM cards will work on this phone.
10. ZTE Axon M Z999
Imagine that you’re watching a movie and sending a text to your friend without compromising screen space or closing one app to use another. Can you do that with your single-screen smartphone? The ZTE Axon M can do that because it has 5.2″ dual-screen which is foldable. So, you get a stylish smartphone as well as almost a tablet at the same time.
- Two identical foldable 5.2” Gorilla Glass Gen 5 Display, 3 Modes - Dual, Extended & Mirror, Two...
- RAM: 4GB, ROM: 64GB - Expandable up to 256GB MicroSD, Android 7.1.2 (Nougat), 2.15 GHz Quad-Core...
- 20MP - Single Camera for both Rear and Front Facing, Auto focus, Video Capture: 4K, Fingerprint...
Multitasking has never been easier before like this phone. Even the tablets won’t give you this much flexibility. It has a single 20MP camera but you can use it as both the main camera and the front camera.
With all other common smartphone features, this will satisfy you in every single level. The battery capacity of this phone is 3180mAh and can give you a maximum of 28.7 hours of talk time.
- With the protection from Corning Gorilla Glass 5, the phone has 2 5.2″ displays which you can fold.
- The RAM is 4GB and the ROM is 64GB and you can add an additional 1TB MicroSD card which meets more than what you need.
- It’s a powerful phone with Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 821 Chipset and Adreno 530 GPU.
- With fast quad-core processors and 20MP rear camera, you can take amazing photos without any lag.
- The foldable dual display can operate separately or together depending on your need so that it can meet the need for a tablet.
The only dual-screen foldable smartphone on our list is the ZTE Axon M Z999 and we saw its awesome functionalities. We already like this phone but could’ve liked it more if it has CDMA support. That’s right; it is only compatible with the GSM network. So, choose any plan from AT&T, T-Mobile or other operators who run on GSM network and stay connected with 4G speeds.
Among all of the best unlocked phones under 300, we like Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus the most and you should definitely order it today although it’s a renewed phone. But if you want a new phone under 200, you can check out the BLU G9 Pro. Another reason to buy this phone is that it has more ANTUTU benchmark scores than Samsung A50 or Moto G7 Plus.
Also, if you’re looking for AARP landline phones for seniors or multi-line phone systems for small business or Panasonic small business phone system, you should check our other articles. No matter what type of phone you need for your home, office, or elders, you’ll get the best suggestion from us.
Last update on 2020-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API