Staying connected is a must for everybody, especially for senior citizens. The market has so many options to offer when it comes to mobile phones with features that can be useful for seniors. A Jitterbug phone for seniors is a good option.
The Advantages of Owning a Mobile Phone for the Elderly
As far as geriatric mental health is concerned, cell phones bring in many benefits in the lives of the elderly. Such things are making mobile phones a must-have even for senior citizens. Though mobile phones might seem hard to use for these people at first, they will still bring some positive things to the lives of the aging members of the community.
Emergency Contact Detail
One of the great things about the cell phones made for seniors involves the convenience and ease of getting help in case of an emergency. Having a mobile phone nearby is a nice idea.
It can be truly hard to know when an emergency can take place, but there is another benefit that an emergency contact detail in a mobile phone for seniors can offer. You may also find the guidance about how you can get a free cell phones for seniors
In case an older person faints in public, the emergency responders will quickly find out the basic information about the person such as the blood type and current medicines. They can gather all those necessary details even without knowing the passcode of the phone.
Another huge benefit of a cell phone for the elderly is that it can help improve their mental health. There are several applications available in the Google Play Store, iTunes App Store, and other online marketplaces designed to enhance the cognitive ability of a senior citizen. Many of these apps are easy to mind games designed for sharpening the minds of senior citizens. Spending a few minutes in playing these games will already do wonders.
Mobile phones can also be useful for various mobile apps. Many of them are built-in during the purchase period which can remind the senior citizens regarding their upcoming appointments, especially when it’s time for taking some medicines and more.
Best Mobile Phone Options for Senior Citizens
If you’re planning to buy a jitterbug cell phone for seniors, then you will find a range of options to choose from. Start narrowing your options before buying any model. As you do, you will surely come across the following:
These are basic phones that flip open to show the screen and keypad, making them easy to use for the baby boomers. This type of mobile phone for seniors can be the right one for you in case you feel overwhelmed by too many features. A flip phone is basic. Just keep in mind that these cell phones for seniors will not let you do some things like video chat, internet surfing, and GPS. If you need a cell phone just for making and receiving calls or sending a text message, flip phones will be good for you.
Known for their bumpy rectangular body, these phones for seniors do not need flipping that can be beneficial for those senior citizens who have dexterity problems. You will find the keypad right in front of the cell phone together with the non-touch screen. Like the flip phones, these cell phones for senior citizens cannot connect to the internet, so they can be a good option just for making and receiving calls or texting.
Most of the cell phones in the market today fall under this category. They have apps and internet connectivity, so smartphones provide numerous options for practical applications and entertainment. Seniors can shop, edit photos, manage stocks, and track your everyday footsteps. They can also read news and play games using smartphones.
For the tech-savvy senior citizens out there, smartphones will be an excellent choice for them. With smartphones, they can easily manage their internet of things and smart devices at home. Just be sure you are comfortable in using a touchscreen device before settling for one.
Features to Look for in Cell Phones for Seniors
There are many cell phones made for senior citizens today. More and more of them enter the market every day that it’s now too difficult to choose one. The aging process typically affects the person’s senses such as his hearing, vision, and touch. It can also affect his cognition, including your memory and new detail processing.
That is why mobile phones for younger users are not good for seniors. Find those mobile phones with the following features:
For Impaired Vision
- Bright, large, and easy-to-read screen – a lot of senior citizens struggle with their vision. Therefore, the best mobile phone for senior citizens must have a large screen and big fonts for easy readability.
- Simple Design – the simple intuitive design will be good for a mobile phone designed for seniors. It should have just the basic functions for users’ convenience.
- Big and Easy to See Buttons – it is best to have big easy-to-read menus and buttons for touch screens.
- Voice Recognition – those features have come a long way through the years. They are now extremely reliable. Users can just say Call Home and the phone dials the present home number.
- High Contrast Screen Colors – the menu colors must be high contrast, so it’s clear to see.
- Adaptable Font Size – The font size must be adjustable so that the users will be able to adjust it based on their vision. It must be a simple feature which does not involve too many menus which can confuse the users.
- Big Icons – icons must be visible and large. These include the battery life and the network reception icons that are usually small and positioned in the corners of the screen.
For Difficulty of Hearing
- Adaptable Volume Control – the adjustment must be easy to use. A big rocker button on the phone’s side is typically the great choice.
- Hearing Aid Compatible – many senior citizens wear hearing aids, which is why phones should be compatible or this would be frustrating for seniors.
- Powerful Speaker – the speaker must be good enough for the senior citizens to use without the hearing aid.
For Reduced Cognition
- Easy-to-Add Contacts and Names – it must be simple to add and use the phone’s contact list. It should be as easy as 1-2-3.
- Intuitive Menus – senior citizens must not be required to see the manual to learn and master using their phone. It must be extremely easy to figure out just by viewing the screen. There must be adequate prompts for every screen to guide the user.
- Reduced Steps for Using the Main Features – it must not just take one to two steps to finish a function.
- The Same to Their Home Phone – whenever possible, pick a phone which is the same as their home phone as they are already used to it.
For Reduced Dexterity or Touch
- Big Buttons – the mobile phones for the elderly must have big buttons which offer feedback if they’re pushed.
- Not Too Small – the cell phone must not so small as it can become difficult to hold.
- Sturdy – it must be able to endure the infrequent drop.
Why Choose Jitterbug Phones?
Jitterbug was specifically designed for helping people stay connected. The notion behind the Jitterbug phone for seniors was to offer mobile phone services to senior citizens with minimal to zero income within the community.
Though many people these days use smartphones, Jitterbug offers an old-school flip cell phone that is good for older people who just want an easy-to-use, basic phone. Compared to young people senior citizens need a cell phone with easy-to-use features, can communicate effectively, and can help a lot in case of an emergency.
A Jitterbug phone for seniors often has clear and vivid screens and large buttons, which are beneficial features for older generations. These days, this phone is available in 2 versions: a smartphone and a flip phone. Both mobile phones can give every user the accessibility to various health and safety services like the 5Star Urgent Response which connects the callers to 911 operators with just one press on the button.
Generally, a Jitterbug phone’s usage pattern falls into two: those who want to chat regularly and those who need a mobile phone for emergency and occasional use. Jitterbug offers a cell phone plan that costs $14.99/month. With that, you already have a reliable device without spending too much.
Aside from saving some cash, you will also enjoy the following benefits:
- No contracts. Just the basic monthly plan.
- No cancellation charges required. Cancel it anytime you want to.
- There are no long-distance charges in the United States. Users can call family and friends anywhere within the United States.
- Saves you money. Unconsumed airtime would be carried through 60 days.
10 Best Jitterbug Phones for Seniors
If you’re shopping for a Jitterbug phone for seniors, your best choices are:
1. Jitterbug Smartphone for seniors
This Jitterbug phone is easy to use as it comes with a big touchscreen and a simple menu.
The GreatCall said this unit is one of the best offers coming from Jitterbug. GreatCall is a reliable health technology company based in San Diego, CA. Its history began in 2005, and it’s currently one of the greatest networks in California that offer a wide array of Jitterbug phones.
Jitterbug has flip phones and smartphones that aren’t common to see. It can be a huge opportunity to have a Jitterbug phone for seniors with GreatCall. Jitterbug Smart has a Snapdragon 210 chipset clocking at the speed of 1.1GHz. It also comes with 1GB RAM.
The phone’s internal storage might be limited, but users can extend the free storage by using an SD card of up to 64GB. This mobile phone also offers up to 4 hours of backup power for maximum usage. A non-removable battery powers the Jitterbug Smart. On top of that. Jitterbug Smart runs on Android 5.1 Lollipop.
As for the cameras, this Jitterbug phone for seniors has a 5MP back camera. Despite having that kind of camera, this Jitterbug phone has more extra features.
- A great phone for senior citizens
- With 4G LTE connectivity
- Decent display
- No fingerprint scanner
- Not waterproof
- Not-so-good camera
2. Jitterbug Smart 2 phones for senior
Jitterbug is a well-known brand when it comes to cell phones for seniors. The GreatCall’s Jitterbug Smart 2 has been regarded as the simplest smartphone in the market. This smartphone is mainly for the tech-savvy senior citizens out there.
The Jitterbug Smart 2 comes with interesting features. These include simplified options, large screen, safety, and health features, and voice typing. This smartphone for seniors has big, readable icons and buttons enlisting the phone’s major functions. It does not have fancier options which are more common on phones made specifically for younger people.
The phone’s 5.5-inch screen of Jitterbug Smart 2 is quite simple to use. The text and icons are all set to a big size by default. If you want to compose text messages, emails, or post on social media but your fingers can’t use those small buttons, then the voice typing feature will be helpful. Choose this option, just say something, and your phone will convert the words into text that you can review before sending.
Aside from that, the Jitterbug Smart 2 has safety and health features like the 5Star Urgent Response. When something happens, just press quickly the 5Star button to connect to a 911 agent for immediate assistance. Other health and safety features available in this Jitterbug smartphone include daily health advice and tips, check-in call, brain games, and many more.
All these features are making the Jitterbug Smart 2 a super cool smartphone to use. Through the years, Jitterbug has been producing mobile phones for senior citizens, so they can get different benefits through that.
The Jitterbug Smart 2 runs on Android 7.0 nougat. As for the phone’s performance and speed, the Jitterbug Smart 2 comes with 2GB RAM and a 1.5 GHz Mediatek 6738 processor. They both guarantee a decent performance of the phone.
With normal use, the phone can stay up and running for more than 24 hours. With its chipset, RAM, and a good battery, this Jitterbug smartphone is truly worth considering and comparing.
Jitterbug Smart 2 can match the best-selling phones today. For cameras, it comes with a 13MP camera on the back and a 5MP front camera on the front. Thus, the phone is also good for taking shots and recording videos. Under this phone, senior citizens will find many features suitable for their needs and preferences.
- Good cameras for taking pictures and videos
- Awesome charge backup with its non-removable battery
- Decent processor performance
- Improved gaming experience
- Good network connectivity
- Android version performance is quite slow in this unit
- Weak Bluetooth connectivity
3. Jitterbug flip phone for seniors
This is an easy-to-use flipping phone. It comes with nice features that are making this an excellent phone for the senior citizens.
The Jitterbug Flip has large buttons and big legible numbers for quick and effortless dialing. Dialing is easy with “Yes” and “No” buttons. Users can activate this phone with GreatCall and keep using your recent cell phone number. This flip phone even comes with a powerful speaker that assures the conversations will always be clear and loud.
A flip phone never fails to fascinate the senior citizens because it is the model and older people also love their old flip phones. Jitterbug is also creating mobile phones for seniors. However, a flip phone is not so common as of now.
If you’re a senior citizen, or you would like to give your senior partner a mobile phone, then you should include this model in your list of options. This unit is not an ordinary flip phone for older people. It has the best design and features suitable for the needs of every senior citizen. In this Jitterbug flipping cell phone, you will find several features that can benefit you in your everyday living.
This flip phone has a 5-star button that is truly good for a quick response. The phone’s Yes and No button will help senior citizens make and receive calls with ease.
As for photography, this flip phone is capable of making 5x zooming using its 2MP camera. This camera sensor is good at capturing pictures and creating videos. What’s more interesting about this Jitterbug phone for seniors is that it has a 4G LTE network connectivity.
For your data like photos, songs, videos, and other files, Jitterbug Flip has good internal storage of 1 to 4 gigabytes. Under it, you can access the GPS WiFi for extra features on this gadget. The keypad of this cell phone offers an excellent opportunity for every senior citizen to access everything with ease. With all these features, senior citizens will find it easier to keep in touch with their loved ones, collect memories, and do other things that can make them happy.
- All functions are easy to use
- Large screen with backlight for composing and reading text messages
- 5-star button for the quick response
- Decent battery capacity and power
- Improved camera experience
- With a GPS tracker
- The extra cost for additional service
- No microSD card slot to expand the phone’s storage
- Cannot be used for surfing the internet
- No front camera
4. Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 Phone For Seniors
This smartphone is also a good phone for senior citizens. It comes with a special feature called 1-Touch Medical Alert. It comes with a menu that is so easy to navigate. This menu is arranged in one list with big icons that are making the whole system easier to navigate.
According to GreatCall, the Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 also comes with the usual Jitterbug features coupled with some extra functions. In this Samsung senior citizen smartphone, you can access the Jitterbug’s 5Star Urgent Care.
This smartphone features a nice screen display that measures 4 inches. It comes with a resolution of 480 x 800 pixels. In front of the phone, you will also see the front-facing VGA camera. On the back, you will find a 5 MP camera with autofocus and a resolution of 2592 x 1944 pixels.
One of the things you need to consider when buying a mobile phone is the battery and its capacity. The Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 comes with a 1500mAh battery with enough juice that can last for up to 12 hours under casual use. This battery can last 12 hours maximum for casual use. Under the standby mode, it can cover up to 276 hours, which is convenient for every user.
Under the storage section, this phone has a total of 8GB for internal storage. The system apps partially occupy the internal storage, leaving you with 4.8GB free space which you can use for storing pictures, videos, songs, and other important files.
You can stretch this free space by using a microSD card. The provided slot can support up to 64GB external storage. A microSD can accommodate everything stored in this phone.
This phone also stands out when it comes to photography. In creating good quality videos and photos, the Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 has a 5MP camera with autofocus and good resolution.
This smartphone has the supported 1GB RAM that covers much of the applications installed on this Android phone. The phone also has a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset. The Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 guarantees better performance and high-speed processing.
- The camera has a night mode
- Better RAM and processor
- Easy to use features suitable for seniors
- Supports 5Star Urgent Care
- Not waterproof
- No android version updates
5. Samsung Jitterbug Plus Flip Phones For Senior
The Samsung Jitterbug Plus is a good example of a Jitterbug phone for seniors. This device is so great and convenient to use. In fact, it is currently extremely popular within the online marketplace. Senior citizens will surely find it a good choice for their daily living.
This Jitterbug phone for seniors is another excellent creation of the Samsung company. The truth is that all of the phones in the list came from the said manufacturer. It’s a good thing for the Jitterbug brand as being registered under Samsung gives peace of mind and assurance to consumers when it comes to quality, durability, and performance.
The Samsung Jitterbug Plus has a 512RAM and internal storage of 1GB. For the battery, the phone will last for up to 25 days if you leave it in the standby mode. When used, this phone for senior citizens may last for up to 3.1 hours. This cell phone is not photography, though. It has a camera at the back, but it’s only 1.3 megapixels which can’t offer clear pictures.
With this cell phone made for senior citizens, users will be able to use some extra features and the major features such as voice dialing, messaging, speakerphone, phone book, and hearing aid compatibility. The Samsung Jitterbug Plus is truly one of the best flip phones for the elderly.
- With more features that seniors will enjoy
- With more extra features
- Good battery life when on standby mode
- Not for surfing the internet
- Does not support flash for the camera
6. Samsung Jitterbug J Phones For Senior
This one is also a good Jitterbug phone. It is super easy to use, considering that it was originally for the seniors. Users will love many things about the phone.
First of all, it comes with a bright and vivid display, a big font size, a spacious keypad with large buttons, and a dial tone that makes the device work like the landline telephone.
The Samsung Jitterbug J enhances the original model with Bluetooth support and text messaging. Likewise, the Jitterbug services give the customers with operator services.
- Easy to use
- Bright and vivid display
- Large fonts
- Wide keyboard with big buttons
- Dial tone
7. Samsung Jitterbug Dial Flip Phone For Senior
The Samsung Jitterbug Dial is user-friendly with a wide and bright display, huge and tactile keypad, and more of similar characteristics of a landline cordless mobile phone.
This Jitterbug phone for seniors is pre-installed with contacts. Therefore, you can make a call with ease by using the operator. The phone also comes with a loudspeaker.
- Easy to use
- Big, bright, and readable fonts and keys
- Easy pricing plans
- Unlimited subscriber assistance
- Expensive and unsubsidized handset
- Can’t change the speakerphone volume
8. Jitterbug OneTouch Phone For Senior
This unit could be the best phone for those senior citizens who want a cell phone mainly for making and receiving calls. It is very easy to use.
The Jitterbug OneTouch has a bright screen display that shows the fonts in large size and readable form. The buttons are large and simple to press while users can pre-install the contacts into the device.
On top of that, the phone has an operator service which guides the users in every step of the calling process. Also, the phone rests securely against the ears. The call and sound quality are both great.
- Good for making and receiving calls
- Bright screen display
- Decent call and sound quality
9. Jitterbug Touch 2 Phone For Senior
The Jitterbug Touch 2 runs on a dual-core ARM Cortex A5 processor clocking at 1GHz with 512MB for RAM. This phone may not work fast, but there is enough processing power for making the basic Android apps launch and work smoothly. The Jitterbug Touch 2 runs on Android 4.0.4 KitKat, but the operating system has been heavily customized.
The phone’s display measures 4 inches. It is a TFT LCD screen with a resolution of 800 x 480 with broad viewing angles. While it is not sharp enough, the phone’s display is capable of reproducing the colors somewhat accurately. The fonts are big and easy to read.
It is a definite enhancement from the tighter 3” screen display of Jitterbug Touch. While the skin of Jitterbug Touch 2 enlarges the icons of applications and the text, the on-screen keyboard of Android is relatively small. The old physical keyboard of Jitterbug Touch is much better than this.
- Simple interface
- Instant access to Android applications
- Flexible data plans and voice
- Urgent Response combined with the customized lock screen
- No LED flash for the camera
10. Jitterbug Touch Phone For Senior
Jitterbug Touch is the keyboarded Android phone that has a simple user interface which makes it simpler to understand for the convenience of those senior citizens who will be using a cell phone for the first time. On the other hand, this new user interface is occasionally sloppy and not everything is as easy it must be.
Aside from that, the Jitterbug Touch is also operating on the outdated hardware which has not aged stylishly and graciously. The GreatCall’s Jitterbug Touch is a fine introduction to smartphones designed for senior citizens, despite some shortcomings.
In terms of the design, this smartphone is somewhat the same with the Milano. It is squat and short, measuring 4.13 inches in height, 2.4 inches in width, and 0.67 inches in diameter. It’s a little heavy at 5.57 oz. The back panel consists of a soft-touch, matte gray plastic that features the “GreatCall” logo and name in an elegant black shade under the imprinted Kyocera.
The Jitterbug Touch runs on Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread. Ordinarily, the outdated Android version can make a user cringe, but that should not be a problem especially if the smartphone is just for making/receiving calls and sending text messages. GreatCall simplified the operating system of this smartphone along with the new interface which makes it quick and easy to open the frequently used features.
- Simple interface
- Decent battery life
- Solid keyboard
- Not all features are simple to use
- Occasionally sloppy user interface layer
- Outdated hardware
Whether you’re planning to buy a phone for yourself or your senior loved one, every Jitterbug phone for seniors included in this list will be a good option for you. All of these Jitterbug phones have features that can help you seek immediate help during emergencies. At the same time, it should offer a smooth and convenient way to make or receive calls and send text messages to your family and friends. Choose the phone with features that can suit all your needs and specifications.
- Best Mobile Phone Options for Senior Citizens
- Flip Phones
- Block Phones
- Features to Look for in Cell Phones for Seniors
- For Impaired Vision
- For Difficulty of Hearing
- For Reduced Cognition
- For Reduced Dexterity or Touch
- Why Choose Jitterbug Phones?
- 10 Best Jitterbug Phones for Seniors
- 1. Jitterbug Smartphone for seniors
- 2. Jitterbug Smart 2 phones for senior
- 3. Jitterbug flip phone for seniors
- 4. Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 Phone For Seniors
- 5. Samsung Jitterbug Plus Flip Phones For Senior
- 6. Samsung Jitterbug J Phones For Senior
- 7. Samsung Jitterbug Dial Flip Phone For Senior
- 8. Jitterbug OneTouch Phone For Senior
- 9. Jitterbug Touch 2 Phone For Senior
- 10. Jitterbug Touch Phone For Senior