Playing high-resolution games requires a lot of processing power and a high-speed internet connection. A lot of serious gamers complain that their monthly package has enough speed, but they do not get the full bandwidth.
The reason is their poor choice of routers and lack of research. So, we researched for you and listed some of the best gaming routers for PS4. With any of the routers below, you will be able to connect several devices and have reliable connections.
10 Best Gaming Routers For PS4 2020 (Reviews & Guide)
1. ASUS Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router
The main advantage of ASUS Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming router AC3100 is that it comes with 1025 QAM technology. It means that you will not get a traditional dual-band router. For the price, it is a great deal for having 80% more speed on the 5 GHz band and 66% more speed on the 2.4 GHz band. To support that much speed, it comes with very powerful antennas and processors.
- 1024 Qam technology 80 percent faster 5 GigaHertz at up to 2100 Mbps, 66 percent faster 2. 4...
- 33 percent greater 2. 4 GigaHertz coverage with a 4 transmit, 4 receive (4T4R) antenna design, able...
- Expansive connectivity options: with exclusively has 8 x Gigabit LAN ports for up to eight Ethernet...
- It is better than other dual-band routers because the 5 GHz band has 1024 QAM technology, which is 80% faster.
- Also, the 2.4 GHz band is 66% faster than others ensuring 3.1 Gbps WiFi connection speed.
- It has powerful amplifiers and 4 advanced antennas so that you can get a coverage of 5000 square feet.
- This one is also like a switch having 8 Gigabit Ethernet ports for high-speed wired internet connections.
- The ASUS RT-AC88U router has a mighty 1.4 GHz dual-core processor to ensure smooth routing and support multiple devices.
As this is a gaming router, it comes with advanced QoS that prioritizes gaming data. For this reason, multiple devices playing high-resolution games on PS4 won’t experience any lag and buffer. This is very important to get a competitive advantage in shooting games.
On the other hand, you can enjoy the AiMesh technology from ASUS that ensures the perfect integration of several WiFi devices. For the protection of all devices connected by wire or WiFi, Trend Micro gives several layers of firewalls and encryption systems. With its easy-to-use mobile app, you will be able to control the contents of the kid’s devices.
2. D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band WiFi Router
The D-Link AC3200 comes with a Smart Connect feature, which keeps it one step ahead of its competitors. The feature makes sure that your devices stay connected to the fastest band available. As a result, no bands experience too much traffic, and you do not experience network congestion during peak hours.
- Ultimate Wi-Fi performance with AC3200 Tri Band speeds (1 x 600 Mbps in 2.4GHz + 2 x 1300 Mbps in...
- Enjoy 4K/HD video and online gaming simultaneously with 3 x 3 data streams and 6 high performance...
- The 1GHz dual core processor gives you powerful wired and wireless speeds
- The D-Link DIR-890L AC3200 tri-band router can provide up to 3.2 Gbps WiFi download speed where 2 bands are 5 GHz, and 1 band is 2.4 GHz.
- Its 6 high-performance antennas can cover a large area and ensure speed with 3×3 data streams.
- For handling loads on both wired and wireless connections, the router comes with a 1 GHz dual-core processor.
- Its advanced SmartBeam technology can track connected devices and ensure an uninterrupted speedy connection.
- With an encrypted communication system and several firewalls, your devices will stay protected from attacks.
Its Smart Beam Forming technology tracks wirelessly connected devices and ensures maximum signal strength. As a result, you can talk on a video call or play games while walking without any interruption. The six antennas of the router will ensure wide area coverage and speedy internet connections, even in the corners.
The best tri-band routers perform better than the dual-band routers and make sure that gamers have lag-free gaming experience. With all those features, this router also ensures smooth data handling and perfect load balancing with its powerful processor. As a result, both wired and wirelessly connected devices will not experience any lag while gaming simultaneously.
3. Linksys Tri-Band WiFi Router
This is the next generation router that comes with jaw-dropping features and performance. The price is a bit much, but the investment is worth it because it will support you for many years. As time advances, technology also gets improved, but you won’t have to replace this one. Those are some reasons for declaring this as one of the best gaming routers for PS4.
- Provides up to 3,000 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage for 25+ wireless devices
- Works with existing modem, simple setup through Linksys App
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- The Linksys AC5400 router can support more than 25 devices at the same time with a coverage of up to 3000 square feet.
- The Linksys app has a friendly interface, and you can configure any modem connection within a minute or two.
- For the fastest and most reliable wireless connections, it comes with tri-band operability and 8 antennas.
- With 2 bands of 5 GHz and 1 band of 2.4 GHz, you will get maximum WiFi speed of 5.3 Gbps, which is more than enough.
- Because of its MU-MIMO technology, all connected devices will get maximum support even during peak hours.
Pro-gamers must need a tri-band router for the maximum speed during peak hours. Also, having the advanced QoS feature will ensure that your PS4 gets the maximum bandwidth no matter what. As a result, you will never face any lag while playing high-end games.
Gamers are the sufferers of technology-improvements. Because they need cutting edge technologies to have the best speed in their homes, keeping changing their WiFi devices with new ones must be frustrating. So, you can make a one-time investment and have this router along with the best cable modem for Xfinity or other cable internet service providers. The combination, along with the best internet package, will give you the best performance.
4. Linksys WRT AC3200 Dual-Band Router
Linksys is well-known for its customizable router management software. If you know those customizations, you will be able to get some amazing features that are best for your home. With those features, you will also get the best communication technology, which is the tri-stream 160 module.
- Fast wireless router provides Wi-Fi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
- Open source firmware offers advanced customization; Certified operating systems: MacOS (10.X or...
- Tri stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
- It supports any modem internet connection and can cover large homes with its 4 powerful antennas.
- The Linksys WRT3200ACM router has advanced tri-stream technology that can double the connection path from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
- Because of its tri-stream technology, you get up to 3.2 Gbps speed on 2 bands, which is faster than others.
- It also has MU-MIMO technology that allows multiple device connections and optimum speed during network congestion.
- To handle heavy traffic over wired and wireless connections, it has an enterprise-grade 1.8 GHz dual-core processor.
Because of that feature, you will get a wider band of 160 MHz where others have only 80 MHz, which is more than enough for your needs. With the tri-stream and dual-band operability, the devices will give you a maximum of 3.2 Gbps download speed. Not only speed, but the router is also able to connect many users and maintain speed due to its MU-MIMO technology.
Different users use different connections and use the internet to enjoy various services. That is why this router comes with an ultra-powerful processor to handle all types of data from wired and wireless connections. For ensuring perfect load-balancing, this router will give you the reliable connection that you need for your PS4.
5. ASUS Gaming Router Tri-band WiFi
The 8 antennas of this router look like they are some sort of guards protecting the main device. Well, those are very powerful antennas to cover a wide area and ensure protected communication. With the hardware and software protection systems, you will surely have a very safe home internet network.
- Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) AC5300 wireless router with the latest 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO...
- 1.8GHz 64bit Quad-Core processor maximizes data throughput from 8-ports and dual USB 3.0 for...
- VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively...
- To cover up to 5000 square feet, it has 8 powerful antennas and AiMesh technology.
- It is an exclusive router for gaming as the processor specification is 1.8GHz 64-bit Quad-core.
- With its VPN Fusion feature, you will be able to run a VPN as well as games simultaneously without any speed issue.
- ASUS GT-AC5300 router has 2 USB-3.0 ports and 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports with 2 gaming LAN to provide the best-wired connection speed.
- From Trend Micro, you will get multiple layers of security to protect your gaming network from various online attacks.
A unique feature of this router is its VPN and gaming support at the same time. With multiple device support and those heavy data handling, some might think of experiencing lag or buffer. But ASUS assures that gamers are the most critical users of this router.
So, you can play games for hours without any lag because of its powerful processor and modified QoS feature. The USB ports on the back are beneficial to set a high-speed file sharing platform. All of these features make it an attractive mid-range router for the pro-gamers.
6. NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 WiFi Router
If you talk about the best gaming router for PS4, you must bring the NETGEAR Nighthawk into the discussion. This is a router that comes with some unique features specially made for gamers. Some of them are traffic prioritization, geo-tagging, a customizable dashboard, and advanced security.
- Minimize ping and maximize performance with four 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag free, wired...
- Amp up your WiFi with AC2600 dual band router that delivers blazing fast speeds up to 2.6 Gbps
- Put your gaming traffic in a designated express lane with advanced quality of service, bypassing...
- For lag-free performance and smooth routing, it comes with a 1.7 GHz dual-core processor.
- With its 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, you will have the same speed as wireless connections.
- It has AC2600 standards, and the wirelessly connected devices will get a maximum of 2.6 Gbps to download something.
- The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC2600 router comes with an advanced QoS service that will manage traffic, and gaming data gets the highest priority during network congestion.
- It can do geo-filtering so that you can connect to the closest game server and have the highest possible speed.
Quality of Service of this router ensures that the gaming traffic gets the highest bandwidth. Moreover, geo-tagging guarantees that you are connected to the closest gaming server and have the lowest ping. On the other hand, its dashboard will give you the necessary insight into which device or application is using the most resource.
So, you will be able to take the necessary actions. Altogether, you will have an advantage over other players and smooth network performance. That is what makes this router worth for the pro-gamers. We have also reviewed some of the best Netgear modem router combos, but buying a separate modem and router will ensure maximum performance.
7. NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Router
This is the most advanced router on our list as it comes with the WiFi 6 technology. With this advanced module, you will get a more reliable wireless connection, better speed, and more device connectivity. It is 4 times faster and ensures simultaneous streaming.
- WIFI 6 – STREAM EVERYTHING AT EPIC SPEED: Simultaneously stream uninterrupted movies, games, video...
- WORKS WITH ALL INTERNET PROVIDERS: Replace your existing WiFi Router (separate modem or gateway...
- EASY TO SET-UP AND MANAGE: Connects to your existing cable modem and sets up and customizes in...
- Netgear Nighthawk AX12 RAX200 router comes with the latest WiFi 6 technology that supports all recently released flagship phones.
- You can create a personal storage network using this router because it has 2 USB-3.0 ports to connect USB mass storage.
- With a 1.8 GHz quad-core 64-bit processor, this router can efficiently handle the data of several connected devices.
- With features like Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Dynamic QoS, your gaming experience will be very satisfactory.
- With 12 streaming channels and 8 powerful antennas, you can get strong signal and connection speed within 2500 square feet.
Another unique feature of this router is the multi-gig WAN port on the back. It is made by combining 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports into one. So, you will be able to go for internet packages with more than 1 Gbps speed. Also, you will require supporting fiber optic or cable modem.
To ensure that speed on wired and wireless connections, it has 8 built-in modified antennas and a powerful processor. Together, it has 12 streaming channels and better coverage for up to 2500 square feet and connectivity for over 40 devices. For the features and cutting-edge technology, the price is reasonable, but it still is expensive for a lot of users.
8. NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch
A lot of customers bought the best modem router combo for Comcast but complained that they have too many devices to connect by wire. That is why we are here with a smart switch from Netgear that will give you 8 Gigabit ports.
- ETHERNET PORT CONFIGURATION: 8 Gigabit ports
- CONFIGURATION & CONTROL: Management software with easy-to-use GUI interface offers basic...
- MODERN DESKTOP DESIGN: The "cool-touch" zinc-alloy outer housing matches its high gaming performance...
- The zinc-alloy housing provides durability and keeps it cool even with a fanless design.
- It has highly efficient 8 Gigabit Ethernet ports so that you can connect several devices using wires.
- As there are no fans used, it consumes less energy and ensures a silent operation for the ultimate gaming experience.
- NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 GS808E router comes with a gaming dashboard that will give you network insights, diagnosis, and very low latency.
- It also features basic VLAN, advanced QoS, IGMP, and prevents DoS attacks along with maintaining device privacy.
Those are low-latency ports that will ensure the best gaming experience. This device performs so well that you will not realize that there is a network device in the middle of your device and router connectivity. That is not an easy task and the intelligent circuit design with powerful components makes it work seamlessly.
Switches handle a lot of traffic every second and become hot quickly. That’s why fans cool them down but make noises, which is annoying. Surprisingly, this switch comes with a zinc-alloy housing and a fanless cooling system. With all those features and its performance, we loved to have this switch for our wired connections.
We know that all of our readers can’t afford expensive routers that we reviewed above. So, we have listed an affordable one that you can consider the best gaming router for PS4 with some decent features. For the performance reviews, you can read the customer reviews and know their experiences with the router.
- 10X’S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only “Fast Ethernet” ports that max out...
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger homes by focusing the...
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while Guest Network access...
- It has Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag-free gaming and HD streaming even in wired connections.
- This wireless router can provide up to 1.2 Gbps download speed with its dual-band operability.
- The instructions are straightforward, and you can set it up within minutes using the web-interface.
- It has range extender mode for covering more areas by connecting it to your existing router.
- The USB-2.0 port on the back connects a storage drive for setting up a local FTP server to share media files in the fastest way.
Almost everything about the router is friendly for gamers except the coverage. If you own a big house, you should get the best mesh WiFi system or range extenders. Otherwise, this is a serious router with Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1.2 Gbps WiFi module.
TP-Link Archer C1200 AC1200 router not only ensures speed but also gives lag-free gaming experience with its powerful processor. With that processor and powerful antennas, you can connect multiple devices and still enjoy HD streaming and gaming simultaneously. You can rely on this router with your home network’s security as it has several firewalls and an encrypted communication system.
10. TP-Link Archer C1200 Gigabit Router
Want a router that you can monitor and control remotely via its mobile app? Buy the TP-Link Archer C1200 with the best available price. The TP-Link Tether app has a very user-friendly interface with a lot of features. You can connect a USB storage device to the router and use it as a file-sharing platform.
- Dual band router upgrades to 1200 Mbps high speed internet(300Mbps for 2.4 Gigahertz + 900Mbps for 5...
- Gigabit Ethernet ports, ideal for any internet plan and allow you to directly connect your wired...
- USB Access Share your USB drive content wirelessly; Operating Temperature: Operating Temperature:...
- It has 2 bands where the 2.4 GHz band provides 300 Mbps, and the 5 GHz band offers 900 Mbps.
- You can connect multiple devices to the router and stream HD content along with playing online games simultaneously.
- The 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB port help connect several devices and have different functionalities.
- It comes with several firewalls and encrypted wireless communication system so that hackers can’t attack or breach the home network in any way.
- Its 3 antennas and beamforming technology will give you ultimate coverage with stable signal in every corner.
Not only setting up an FTP server but also connecting a printer will increase your productivity and save time. You can enjoy all of those features with high-speed WiFi connections. The 2 bands of this router will give you a maximum of 1.2 Gbps speed for downloading.
On the other hand, it comes with 3 antennas and beamforming technology so that your PlayStation doesn’t experience lag while streaming online games. Moreover, the processor also plays a vital role in this regard. No matter what your connection type is, you will get a Gigabit speed.
What is the best gaming router for PS4?
In this part, we will know the 5 factors for choosing the best gaming routers for PS4, for smooth gaming. After that, you will see our expert opinion on several models that you can trust completely.
- First of all, try to select tri-band routers because they are the best to ensure the fastest connection even when there are a lot of users present.
- Secondly, look if the router has the latest WiFi technology. It will make sure that you won’t have to buy a new router every year.
- Thirdly, look for the ports on the back. Try to choose a router that comes with Gigabit Ethernet ports along with USB-3.0 docks.
- Fourthly, try to know the specification of the processor because only powerful processors can handle different types of services without introducing any lag.
- Finally, look for the wireless connectivity features. With beamforming technology, powerful antennas, or other features, the connections will perform better.
Based on all those facts, we have some recommended models for you. If you have enough budget, you must go for the Linksys Tri-Band WiFi Router. For slightly less budget, NETGEAR Nighthawk will be the best option. For a more affordable model, we chose the Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router. All of these routers are manufactured, thinking the best interest of the gamers.
The pro gamers might not like the last one, and that is why we recommended the previous two models. If you are new in gaming and can’t spend a lot of money right now, you can go with the Medialink as it doesn’t perform like cheap routers.
All of those are the best gaming routers for PS4, and you have most probably chosen one according to your budget. But if you are still confused about buying one, you can see our editor’s recommendations above. Don’t buy any router on the market stating gaming router because many of them say that to increase the price. That is why we researched, tested, and reviewed the best routers for gamers.
Last update on 2020-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 10 Best Gaming Routers For PS4 2020 (Reviews & Guide)
- 1. ASUS Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router
- 2. D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band WiFi Router
- 3. Linksys Tri-Band WiFi Router
- 4. Linksys WRT AC3200 Dual-Band Router
- 5. ASUS Gaming Router Tri-band WiFi
- 6. NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 WiFi Router
- 7. NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Router
- 8. NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch
- 9. Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router
- 10. TP-Link Archer C1200 Gigabit Router
- What is the best gaming router for PS4?